Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2012

Tribute to Dad

Dad, I love you.

I don't say it very often, but I do love you dearly.  You mean the world to me and have been a very important part of my life.

I remember when we were little and you worked nights.  Some mornings we would wake up to find a little pile of pink Canadian mints piled on the kitchen table for us. 

Mom didn't have her license then, so Saturdays, Dad, you would take us grocery shopping.  We thought it was great; especially when we would stop at Kelly's Hamburger Stand for a hamburger, fry and milk.  What a treat!

And how about when Mom was in the hospital after having my sisters, we would wake up and you would be making scrambled eggs.  I loved your scrambled eggs!  We thought it was fun--kind of like roughing it without Mom!

You never complained when you had to bring me back and forth from my part-time job when I was a teen, and would wait patiently no matter how long you had to wait.

You took me out to find my first car--a big, huge bomber of a car.  It was like driving a bus, but it was safe!

You walked me down the aisle when I got married 31 years ago and danced with me at the reception.  It was a bittersweet moment and probably the only time I have ever danced with you!

Remember all the houses you looked at with us when we bought our first home?  I don't think you knew what you were getting into when you suggested we buy a fixer-upper, especially when Jerry (my husband) wasn't very handy.  He sure had a lot to learn, didn't he? 

But you were there for that first renovation, and the second and the third...up until what was hopefully the last one just 5 years ago. 

You have bailed us out financially so many times that I have lost count.  And you never asked for repayment.

You have been a wonderful father, husband and grandfather, and such a wonderful role model as a gentleman. 

Dad, I love you very much and am so grateful for what you have done for me and my family, and for what you continue to do. 

Thank you, Dad!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love to have input into how my readers feel about my thoughts and perhaps topics they might like me to explore.