Pages

Saturday, July 14, 2012

Change is Never Easy

Change.  It is never easy.

Especially change that is not chosen but is thrust upon us. 

Some change is exciting, like having my oldest daughter expecting my first grandchild in January. 

Some change is difficult, like having my oldest son and his wife move back to Louisiana after having lived with us for almost three years.   Or my sister going back to work after almost twenty years of spending time together on a daily basis.

Then there are the high school graduations in our extended family and what comes after that.

Our family is certainly in the midst of a time of transition.

It seems that things stay the same for a few years and then suddenly, change comes in bunches.

I'm not really good with change, although when I was younger, I loved it.  My husband and I moved at least ten times in our early years of marriage.  We had five children.  I loved trying new things out, like Mary Kay or college classes or a part-time job.

But now, I like ordinary.  I like boring.  I like things on an even keel.  I hate surprises.

But as I have grown older, I have learned to roll with the punches; to expect the unexpected; to go with the flow.

And life is much easier that way. 

I do admit to crying some tears over the changes that have been made and are occurring in our family.  Yet I find that I can handle them.  They are not keeping me down.  I just keep moving on down the road of life and focusing on my three children still living at home, and cherishing the time I have with them, as well as spending time with my parents.

I can't stop change.  Life is all about change.  But I can accept it as God's will and trust that He knows the plan and that He will help me through anything I need help with.  And that, my friends, is very comforting.

1 comment:

  1. That's what I tell myself--that everything living changes. At the same time, I prefer a simple, unremarkable life--although I do like the surprises to be sweet ones, and that's often not what happens.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love to have input into how my readers feel about my thoughts and perhaps topics they might like me to explore.