Pages

Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Slacker Mom...Continued

The other day, I posted on being a Slacker Mom, Slacker Teacher, but never really touched on the slacker mom aspect.  I feel the need to do this now.


I had been thinking about my Mom, especially with Mother's Day coming up and what a wonderful Mom she was, and still is.  She was an incredible example of what a mom should be and I certainly wouldn't be who I am today without her influence.


And so, when I compare myself to Mom, I feel like a slacker mom.  She was so good at training us, in a good way, to be organized, clean and kind.  Somehow, in raising my five children, I failed to do that.


For example, when we were little, as soon as we got up, we went into the bathroom to wash our face and brush our teeth.  Period.  Some of my children haven't washed their face in days, and some I have to mention their "dragon breath" before they brush!


Every Saturday was bed changing day years ago (and still is for my bed).  But at my house, I'm lucky to see my children's sheets once a month!  As for making beds, (which I do mine every day), I wonder if my children are feeling well if theirs are made.


We were also required when I was little to keep our rooms decently clean, including dusting.  My children's rooms have paths to their beds through all their stuff.  I have to avert my eyes during evening prayer so that I don't have anger in my heart during a prayerful time.  And I don't think my children know what dusting is!


Bedtime with Mom was set in stone, except for exceedingly rare occasions, like a good episode of "Wonderful World of Disney" on Sunday nights.  Usually it was 7 to 7:30 p.m.  At our house, bedtime can range from anywhere between 9:30 and when I go to bed (usually 10:30). 


Mom was a quiet, loving authoritarian.  We respected her wishes and wanted to please her, so we always (mostly) did what we were told.  Somehow that gene did not pass on to me, the slacker mom.  I could never be a CEO or a boss for that matter.  I somehow missed out on Mom's amazing ability to teach and to lead and instead wander through life with no clear household rules.  Being a follower is not a good attribute for mothers.  Moms need to be leaders, and instill basic habits in their children, all with a loving heart.  


I love my children dearly, but I feel I have done them a disservice in not teaching them and expecting some very basic things from them.  I tend to overlook a lot, as I like to keep the peace and don't like confrontation.  Perhaps I should study in my mind more closely how my Mom led our family with love and patience and maybe glean a few tips.  Perhaps it's not too late!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment on my blog. I love to have input into how my readers feel about my thoughts and perhaps topics they might like me to explore.